FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Radio requirements/suggestions

<<

GrimReap

soldier

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Radio requirements/suggestions

Okay, I want to make sure my team is set well in advance.

Radios, which models are allowed, what's required, and what should I know when shoppin' for Op-S-legal radios? I want to make sure my group buys the right radios a few months in advance so we have time to practice with them, and so there aren't any issues come game day.

Thanks.
<<

EagleDriver

corporal

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 am

Re: Radio requirements/suggestions

At an OPLC MILSIM game you will be playing with first-timers and seasoned veterans. This means there will be a mix of equipment in use, especially radios. If you are serious about MILSIM then I recommend you invest in a programmable radio. Although FRS/GMRS type radios are common, they have a limited number of channels which makes it easier for the other team to listen in on you. With a programmable radio, you can still use the FRS/GMRS channels and also have a wider spectrum of UHF and VHF frequencies available.

The Puxing PX-888 series is the most commonly used radio in MILSIM games around the world. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to program, and accessories and parts are readily available. The PX-888K is a dual band UHF/VHF radio that would cover everything you will ever need for MILSIM. They also accept the Kenwood or "K Type" two pin accessories, so you can use headsets and speaker mics with them. (note that the px-uv973 is the newer version of the PX-888K but is more expensive.)

I would recommend you purchase a radio (which comes with a charger), one spare battery, and a speaker microphone or a headset with Push To Talk button.
<<

Mushee

soldier

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Been using the Baofeng UV5R for over two years with no problems. Maybe not as "legit" as what some folks use, since it is a chiclone of the Woxun, but it works. Has all the same attributes as the above mentioned Puxing.
<<

EagleDriver

corporal

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Actually the Baofeng UV5 series is definitely a great performer for the price (around $40 versus the $80 of the Puxing.) The only major drawback is that it does not have a channel changing knob. So if it is in a pouch and you need to go to a different channel, you have to undo the retention, change the channel, and redo the retention. That can be quite distracting in a firefight!
<<

GrimReap

soldier

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks for the info guys.

Return to Shahrazad - Military Simulation War Game Exercise with Airsoft weapons