First Timer Recommendations

Forum for announcements for and discussing Best of USA Marketing's Operation Shahrazad
SOSPapaBear
soldier

First Timer Recommendations

Post by SOSPapaBear » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:27 pm

I was curious on what recommendations you veterans would have for me since this is my first Milsim event. I'm mainly curious about what and how much food someone should have. What type of injuries should I prepare my med kit for as well as would a hammock be of any use? Oh, and those who use AEG's. I am someone who only fires semi, how many batteries would you recommend and of what voltage.

Any gear recommendations would be appreciated as well. I am an extremely experienced player but am always looking to learn from those who are willing to aid and teach me.

GrimReap
soldier

Re: First Timer Recommendations

Post by GrimReap » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Oh hey, those boy scout skills are coming in handy. Okay, here's what you do for your first aid kit.

Just grab any personal portable first aid kit from a pharmacy or super market. You really only need some bandaids, disinfectant wipes, tweezers for splinters, moleskin for blisters. You don't have to go over the top with it, you're at an event with refs and I'm guessing a medtent or something somewhere. You just need to be prepared for the small nicks and scratches.

SOSPapaBear
soldier

Post by SOSPapaBear » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:00 am

Thats really good to know and it's reassuring. So tell me what you think of this kit set up.

-large and small bandages
-gauze
-ace bandage
-alcohol wipes
-tweezers
-moleskin
-advil
-muscle relaxer heat pads

Feel free to be harsh and tell me where I'm wrong. I have some EMT training so I normally over pack for med kits. But seeing how we are gonna be playing for hours, cutting down weight is extremely important.

GrimReap
soldier

Post by GrimReap » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:42 am

SOSPapaBear wrote:Thats really good to know and it's reassuring. So tell me what you think of this kit set up.

-large and small bandages
-gauze
-ace bandage
-alcohol wipes
-tweezers
-moleskin
-advil
-muscle relaxer heat pads

Feel free to be harsh and tell me where I'm wrong. I have some EMT training so I normally over pack for med kits. But seeing how we are gonna be playing for hours, cutting down weight is extremely important.
As long as it's light weight and you don't mind carrying that all day, that's a superb first aid kit. Just bring some of those safety-medical-scissors if you need to cut the moleskin or gauze and whatnot.

GregBrothers
colonel

Post by GregBrothers » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am

Yes we have medtent and EMT on site for OP
Greg Brothers
Director of East Coast Operations
COS NL 1, 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
COS RSE 1,2,3
COS Sharhazad 1, 2
COS LS 5
COS Lions pride
COS Liberty
COS Swift Justice
AOS LS 3, 4 , Irene 12
and prob some other ops i forget them all

SOSPapaBear
soldier

Post by SOSPapaBear » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:48 pm

Ok cool, that's something I'm not used to seeing how this is going to be my first Milsim event.

Sketchy
soldier

Post by Sketchy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:04 am

Do some googling you can find lists of things to bring when going to a big event for your first time. I've been to a few of the OLMCSS events so I'm not going to reiterate the basic stuff (bring extra bbs!). The vast majority of people who show up are going to be very prepared with all sorts of gear we haven't even considered. Instead I will mention a few things people tend to ignore or forget:
-------------
First Most Obvious Rule that People Screw Up: Wear the correct camo. Don't show up in what you have available and hope it is alright. There are always one to a dozen people who show up with the wrong camo and ask Greg Brothers 'Is this alright?' No, it is not alright and your team will be penalized points before the event even begins!
-------------
1) extra dead rags - yes, people show up without dead rags
2) a dead light - a red light or glow stick - if you don't have a dead light you are asking to be lit up
3) high carb snacks - We run around all day like a bunch of military folks but very very few of us have the physical conditioning of military folks. You are going to be tired, sweaty and hungry. If you don't make yourself eat and restore that energy you will never make it to the night Op.
4) water, water, water. See #3. You may not feel thirsty but force yourself to say hydrated. Don't bring one 16oz bottle. Bring at least a gallon per day.
5) flashlight - it is required but a lot of people think they won't need one. You will need one.
6) duct tape or electricians tape
7) gloves - you will get hit in the hand, it will hurt and probably make you bleed. Even some light gardening gloves help.
8 ) face protection - some guys hate wearing a mesh mask. Discomfort lasts a few hours, a chipped tooth lasts a lifetime + hundreds in $$$ for dental bills. At RSE some guy caught one in the mouth and spent a day with a bloody balaclava. Don't be that guy.
9) a balaclava, shemagh or scarf - ever catch a bb in the ear? or a 350 fps full auto burst right in the neck? Cover your skin.
10) a radio - you will get separated from your unit. Having coms helps.
11) extra charged batteries - don't expect that some nice person at the AO will have an outlet for you to charge from. If you are worried get a power inverter you can plug into a car's cig lighter as an outlet.
12) extra base layers - after dinner you will love putting on a dry base layer before the night game
13) anti-fog spray/gel for your goggles - if you have this you will be the most popular person in your squad
14) zip lock bags - somehow people always find a reason to use these
15) a towel

This isn't a complete list so if anyone else has suggestions please chime in.

rufio
soldier

Post by rufio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:46 am

/\ this

sketchy has the right idea, and is right about those not conditioned for this kind of event will have to take extra precautions especially during the summer and having never attended a major milsim event.

as an active duty infantryman, i have a few additions to his list:

-in addition to bringing high carb snacks, be sure to be ingesting a fair amount of salt during the day. when you sweat, you lose a lot of salt. if you continue to drink, but dont have enough sodium (an electrolyte) in your system, you wont retain the water, and will just piss it away. even if your piss is clear, it may not be an indication of hydration.

-on that note, bringing enough water is invaluable. id suggest at least 5 gallons. i know i like to throw water on myself to help cool off when refitting to go back out or during an admin halt, so plan for water used for drinking as well as any other needs. you dont want to be rationing your supply if there isnt potable water on site

- also, if you have any previous hot weather injuries (dehydration, heat cramps, heat stroke etc) then you are more susceptible to future hot weather injuries. plan accordingly.

-EXTRA SOCKS!!!! im gonna tell you right now, having dry, clean socks makes your life awesome after having to walk in dirty wet ones for hours on end. also, wearing appropriate footwear is important as well. your feet are your lifeline; treat them as such. i choose boots with ample ankle support and comfortable insoles. if you show up with brand new, unbroken-in boots on day one expect discomfort. make sure your gear is comfortable and works for you before you get there. extra boots might be a good idea as well.

-double check your equipment before pushing the wire. before we step off on mission, we conduct pcc's/pci's (pre combat checks/ pre combat inspections done by leadership before missions). these are to ensure that each man has all required equipment and that it all works. my rule of thumb is, if you get fucked up on pcc's/pci's, then you didnt check your gear early enough. gear and equipment should be serviceable at all times. you dont wanna show up and be like, "damn i wish i had made sure my aeg worked/had charged my batteries/made sure my vest was put together/ whatever else could go wrong"

-finally, dont show up and whine. leave your baby spit at home. i love being lazy as much as the next guy, but if you want milsim, come with the mindset that you are gonna go further, fight harder, and shoulder more of the load than every other chairsofter out there. your mentality is everything when youre tired and sweaty and hungry. you get out of it what you put in.

hope this helps and feel free to send any questions you have my way as they come up!!

Brett
soldier

Post by Brett » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Thank you for the list this is very helpful
Brett Garner
General of the Maryland Airsoft Team
http://www.MarylandAirsoftTeam.com
MarylandAirsoftTeam@yahoo.com

OP Shahrazad 2014 - Legionnaires 3-3
OP X 2014 - Russian 1-1

GregBrothers
colonel

Post by GregBrothers » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:50 pm

outside of people who show up in wrong uniform we have the people who show up without full seal googles, if you dont have them you dont play.........LET ME make that clear YOU DONT GET TO PLAY

next If your gun does not meet chrono i will NOT let you slide.......

and for this OP bug spray and extra set of boots might help.......when i play i bring 2 sets of boots.......dry boots are a wonderful thing.

AND MORE WATER we dont provide water thats on the player and 75% of the players fail to bring enough water
Greg Brothers
Director of East Coast Operations
COS NL 1, 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
COS RSE 1,2,3
COS Sharhazad 1, 2
COS LS 5
COS Lions pride
COS Liberty
COS Swift Justice
AOS LS 3, 4 , Irene 12
and prob some other ops i forget them all

Return to “Shahrazad - Military Simulation War Game Exercise with Airsoft weapons”