Camping and Fires

Forum for announcements for and discussing Best of USA Marketing's Operation Lion Claws
JactLegion61
soldier

Camping and Fires

Post by JactLegion61 »

Hey everybody. I have attended LC before but last time I stayed in a hotel. This time I plan to camp out and knock a few back with anybody who wants to join me. I was wondering about the rules concerning fires. Are we permitted to dig fire pits or have a trashcan style fire. Or are we restricted to barbecue pits for fires. I know a fire extinguisher would be required in any case but I just wanted to check first.
Goon Squad Callsign:PANDA

OP NH 2013 2-1 Sgt.
OP LC XII TFR 1-1
ABCE 2013 USFOR 3-3
WoA 2014 SOCOM 3rd Squad
OP NH 2015 Cartel 3-1
LC XIV Rangers 1-4
OP Devil Dog R131 SOCOM 2nd Squad
GOON SQUAD *THE S*** YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT*

EODGUY02
soldier

Re: Camping and Fires

Post by EODGUY02 »

This is directly out of the FAQ thread:

Q: IS THERE CAMPING AT THIS AO? ...ARE CAMPFIRES ALLOWED?

ANSWER
Most if not all O.L.C.M.S.S Events provide for the opportunity for players to camp out at the event site. OPLC will have Primitive facilities available

Campfires are NOT allowed at the West area AO due to the Dry windy nature of the area. However; Gas camp stoves, Propane, or Charcoal grills are allowed for cooking purposes
Note a Fire Extinguisher is required when using any of the listed cooking sources

Based on the verbiage written I woul say no especially with the fact that California is in a drought ATM and an open pit fire would add to the risk.

AL429
soldier

Post by AL429 »

Not to mention it gets invincibly windy there during the day. Normally during the afternoons and into the evenings some times but there has been a few times that it got windy at night so word of advice from someone that's been to that AO since Lion Claws X (10), when the event first started to be held there, is to STAKE and WEIGHT down everything that includes your tents and E-Z Ups. I have seen tents blown away and many EZ-Ups destroyed at that AO which is why I sleep in my car/pick-up truck and I recommend people to do the same if possible. It is the high deserts of Southern California and near The Cajon Pass so it DOES get very windy there normally.

Also there is the dust and the blowing mini dust devils to contend with so expect things to get dusty when you camp out there.

High winds plus fires well you know the dangers and even though it is the desert there is still stuff on that AO that would burn even in the camping area which is why open fires such as camp-fires and pit fires are NOT ALLOWED there. Trash can fires or a fire in a large metal container might be allowed but you must also have a lid with those and also must ask on-site staff for them to OK it before you light one of those up. Be sure to NEVER leave your camp stove, charcoal grills, or any contained fires unattended which is why there is that Fire Extinguisher requirement for people using stoves and grills.

Now you know why some people choose to stay at the nearby hotels since camping there on the AO can be rough some times especially for those that are unprepared or not use to it. Of course all the above, except for the fire and camp stoves and charcoal grills bit, don't really affect those in RVs or towed wheeled campers or "toy haulers" since those things are mobile homes/houses.
Always the doorman but never the life of the party.

TPFrog
soldier

Post by TPFrog »

I had a few questions, as some of my group is more than likely to camp.

1. Are there designated camping areas (can we camp anywhere in the AO, possibly staying indoors to escape some potential wind)
2. To clarify, even though i know AO staff will be the ones to dictate, a small charcoal grill is allowed with fire extinguisher nearby, correct?
3. If we do camp are we free to explore the AO at night.

That's all i have for now, however, I'm sure there will be more questions

Raptor
soldier

Post by Raptor »

Based on prior events:

Camping is in designated areas ONLY. The buildings are off limits for camping.

Charcoal grills are allowed, provided that a fire extinguisher is nearby.

Exploring the AO at night is a NOGO. There is usually an opportunity for players to familiarize themselves with the AO on Friday afternoon, and there is a night game on Saturday. Random wandering/photoshoots/training events on the AO at night is not allowed.

Again, this is all based on prior LC events. The Chief of Staff and John Lu has the final say.

TPFrog
soldier

Post by TPFrog »

This is my first Lion Claws event. How easy is it to find the Camping area, securing a spot and what not (I will be arriving Friday afternoon)

AL429
soldier

Post by AL429 »

TPFrog wrote:This is my first Lion Claws event. How easy is it to find the Camping area, securing a spot and what not (I will be arriving Friday afternoon)
It's pretty easy to know where the camping area is at Lion Claws and at that AO especially. If you followed the driving directions to the event itself that's included in your player's information packet (or player's pack) and WARNORD (it'll be emailed to you three to two weeks before the event itself) the general "Camping Area" will be the first thing you drive through on that AO. You enter the AO or playing area through the "Camping Area" as all other access will either be blocked off/gated off or there will be a event security guard posted to check if you belong there and direct you to the right area. The camping area is pretty big and it'll be obvious where it is when you first see or enter the AO area.

There should also be a map included in the player's pack as well that tells you which areas are in play and which areas that are not. The camping area should either be marked on the map as NOT IN PLAY or will be partially cut off on top of the map.

Once you get checked in at the Entrance Gate, you will be directed further on where you can camp in the general camping area. In years past there has been a area for people who is camping and a parking area for those staying at hotels and the area in the "center island" at the end of the paved road you're driving on to get in to the area, also known as "The Vendors' Circle", is reserved for vendors from sponsor companies. Once onsite staff tells you where to go so you can set up your camp, you can pretty much set up in any spot that's not occupied by someone else before hand.

Again, this is going off experience of past Lion Claws events in previous years there so John Lu and the onsite staff members and the Chief of Staff there will have the final say.
Always the doorman but never the life of the party.

TPFrog
soldier

Post by TPFrog »

Sweet, I'll check it out next week when I get registered.

On Friday and Saturday, I'm planning on bringing a decent amount of hot dogs and burgers to cook on a charcoal grill if anyone is interested, by the way. I suppose it'll be first come first serve. I figure it would be a good way to meet people and converse about the action.

JactLegion61
soldier

Post by JactLegion61 »

Picked up a propane portable stove. Gonna bring some steaks and stuff for night and hot dogs for the day time. TPFrog if you wanna post up next to me and consolidate some grub let me know and I can save some space for you next to me if you're camping or just want some day time set up space. Just shoot me a message on here.
Goon Squad Callsign:PANDA

OP NH 2013 2-1 Sgt.
OP LC XII TFR 1-1
ABCE 2013 USFOR 3-3
WoA 2014 SOCOM 3rd Squad
OP NH 2015 Cartel 3-1
LC XIV Rangers 1-4
OP Devil Dog R131 SOCOM 2nd Squad
GOON SQUAD *THE S*** YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT*